Ashby Puerorum is both a small village and a parish in the Wold hills, five miles east of Horncastle and ten miles south of Louth. Somersby parish lies to the north and Greetham parish to the west. The parish covers about 1,620 acres and includes the hamlets of Holbeck and Stainsby.
Ashby Puerorum village is a small place in a low valley. If you are planning a visit:
The manor house is Holbeck Lodge, built in 1823 on a rise called How Hill, 4.5 miles northeast of Horncastle. It is sometimes called Clapgate House, from a tradition that the troops, assembled there the night before the Battle of Winceby, were alarmed by the clapping of the lodge gate. The lodge occupies 70 acres, which contained three small lakes in 1900.
Stainby House was formerly the seat of the LITTLEBURY family. In ancient times it was a large mansion, but by 1872 was reduced to a simpler residence, occupied by Mr. Edward S. CLARKE.
The name Ashby is from the Old Scandinavian Aesc+by, or "farmstead where ash trees grow". Puerorum is from the Latin for "boys" (or, losely, "children"). The Latin part was added to distinquish the name after an estate was established here for the support of a boys' choir for Lincoln Cathedral. The village appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book simply as Ascheby. ["A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]