CARROTT, J., IRVING, B., ISSITT, M., JAQUES, D., KENWARD, H., LARGE, F., McKENNA, B. and MILLES, A., "The biological remains," pp. 32-4 in STEEDMAN, K. and FOREMAN, M., Excavations at Aylesby, South Humberside, 1994. Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 30, 12-37, publ. 1995.
The Knights Templar held land in this parish in the 12th century.
There is no War Memorial in the village but there is a brass plaque in the Parish Church of St. Laurence to the 4 men who fell in the First World War. There is also a framed Roll of Honour for the First World War.
"TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING
WHO, FROM THE PARISH OF AYLESBY,
GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR
KING AND COUNTRY IN
THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919"
Pte JOHN ADLARD
East Yorks Regt. March 1915
Capt FRANCIS WILLMER McAULAY, MA
RFA, TA. May 1916
Pte WILLIAM MARSHALL
North Staffs Regt. Sept 1917
Pte HARRY WILKINSON
Duke of Wellington's Regt. Nov 1918
"Faithful unto Death"
"ERECTED BY THE INHABITANTS 1919"
For a photograph of the War Memorial and the names on the plaque, see the Roll of Honour site.