There are over 2,400 burial register entries for St. Lawrence (1813-1900) included in the National Burial Index (NBI).
The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
There were three Wesleyan Methodist chapels in the parish: one at Bardney, built in 1837, to seat 450 people, one at Southrey, built in 1838, with 100 sittings, and one at Bardney Dairies, with 100 sittings. The Primitive Methodists built a chapel at Bardney in 1858. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Bardney is both a large parish and a large village about 129 miles north of London and midway between Lincoln and Horncastle. Stainfield parish lies to the north, Branston parish to the west, Tupholme parish to the west and the River Witham to the southwest. The parish covered about 5,400 acres and included the hamlets of Southrey (or Southrow), Snakeholme and Bardney Dairies.
Bardney village is at the intersection of the B1202 coming south out of Wragby and the B1190 as it runs between Horncastle and Washingborough, just southeast of Lincoln City. Southrey is about 2.5 miles southeast of Bardney village, right on the northeast bank of the River Witham. Snakeholme and Bardney Dairies are two miles north of Bardney village. If you are planning a visit:
There are caravan parks near the village of Southrey and northwest of Bardney.
The trains stopped running to Bardney and Southrey in 1970.
In 1913, the principal landowners were John S. SHARPE, lord of the manor, Rebert Charles de Grey VYNER, the trustees of the late John Earle WELBY, William Wykeham TYRWHITT-DRAKE, W. F. BURTON, J. D. BLANSHARD and William VARLOW.
In 1712, Thomas KITCHING founded Peter Hancock's Hospital in Bardney. Originally planned to hold up to seven men and seven women, it was run by the local vicar. It is unknown if there are any records of patients or staff. From 1900 through 1913, the Rev. Charles Edward LAING was chairman. The buildings are now a Grade 2 Heritage site.
The name derives from Old English Beardan+eg, meaning "island of a man called Bearda". In 731 it is found as Beardaneu and in the 1086 Domesday Book as Bardenai. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wragby petty session hearings on the first Thursday of every month.
Knowle's Charity of £10 yearly, left in 1603 by Joseph and John KNOWLE of Willoughby, and Thomas BARTHOLOMEW's Charity of 1820 of £1 and 1s were given to the poor as bread.
In 1711, Thomas KITCHING dedicated property to generate revenue for the Free School and for relief of poor widows, apprentices and children in Bardney and neighboring parishes. The charity was still in operation in 1913. KITCHING also built the almshouses known as Peter Hancock's Hospital (See Medical Records, above).