Barholm is both a village and parish 90 miles north of London, 4 miles northwest of Market Deeping and 5.5 miles northeast of Stamford, which lies about a mile north of the A16 trunk road. The parish is bounded on the south by Tallington parish and Uffington parish and on the north side by Greatford parish. The parish covers over 1,600 acres.
Stowe was a small hamlet within the present parish boundaries, about a mile east of Barholm village, but it does not appear on any modern maps the website author owns. Records indicate that Stowe was a separate parish in the past. If you are planning a visit:
The name Barholm is from the Old English Beorg+ham, or "Homestead on a hill". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Bercaham. Stowe (often appearing as "Stow") derives from the Old English stow for "holy place" or "gathering place". [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
The name is pronounced by some of the locals as "Barrum".
Barholm was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
Stowe (note the ancient spelling) was also an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
In April, 1931, Barholm was abolished as a separate Civil Parish and reincorporated as Barholm and Stow Civil parish. During this process it lost some bordering parcels of land to other Civil Parishes.
In April, 1931, Stowe was abolished as a separate Civil Parish and reincorporated as Barholm and Stow Civil parish. It too lost some bordering parcels of land to other Civil Parishes.
Both parishes were in the ancient Ness Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal Parish Council, but they do hold periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civic and political issues.