- The 1086 Domesday Book tells us that there was a church here with a priest.
- There are two ecclesiastical parishes in the civil parish of Barton: St. Mary and St. Peter.
- St. Peter's Church was originally built around 980.
- St. Peter's Church is considered the "mother church" of the parish.
- The Diocese of Lincoln declared St. Peter's Church redundant in November, 1972. It was turned over to English Heritage and was opened to the public.
- Here are photos of St. Peter's church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):
- The church originated as the chapel of All Saints. The church was rededicated in 1248 to the Virgin Mary.
- There is a website for St. Mary Church, complete with photographs.
- Here are photos of St. Mary's church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):
- St. Chad's started as a chapel of ease on the Waterside Road and was built in 1903.
- The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Augustine, was erected in 1840 and could seat 90.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 6-August-2008 - Louis R. Mills]