Beesby is both a village and a parish that lies about 30 miles east of the City of Lincoln in the marshy area about a mile south of Maltby le Marsh and 3.5 miles NE of Alford on the A1104 trunk road that runs from Alford to Mablethorpe on the coast. This has always been a small, rural parish. The parish covers only 1,171 acres, much of which is converted salt marsh.
Beesby is also on the edge of the Wolds. Many of the homes built in the 18th and 19th century were Mud and Stud style buildings.
If you are planning a visit:
For folks on holiday, there is a caravan park west of the village.
The name Beesby is of uncertain origin, most likely from the Old Scandinavian Bees+by, or "village of Bosi". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Besebi. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
The parish was in the Wold division of the ancient Calceworth Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
In recent times the Civil Parish has merged with another to create the modern Civil Parish of Beesby with Saleby. The combined parish does not have a formal Parish Council, but has a Parish Meeting from time to time to deal with civic and political issues.