Belton is one of the eight original parishes in the Isle of Axholme in the far northwest corner of Lincolnshire. It is just north of Epworth and south of the M180 Motorway. The hamlets of Westgate and Sandtoft are within the parish boundary. The area is about 8,500 acres of flat moorland.
The name Belton is from the Old English bel+tun, meaning "farmstead on dry ground in marsh." It is first recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Beltone. [A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]