Originally, there were two Anglican ecclesiastical parishes here: Saint Mary and Saint Gabriel. They were merged to create one church and civil parish. St. Gabriel Church was in poor shape and fell down in 1822. St. Mary's Church, a small building, was pulled down in 1867.
The Anglican parish church was replaced with a new building, dedicated to Sts. Mary and Gabriel.
The village had a Wesleyan Methodist chapel built here in 1815.
The village had a Primitive Methodist chapel built here in 1836.
The Primitive Methodists replaced their chapel with a small chapel here, built in 1879. The United Methodists built theirs in 1855 and the Wesleyan Methodists built a new one in 1877. There is still a Methodist chapel on High Street, but the website author does not know the denomination. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Binbrook is a parish and a village northwest of Louth and about 12 miles south of Grimsby. The parish is in the Wold Hills. Kirmond le Mire parish lies to the west. The parish covers about 5,400 acres, so it is larger than average.
A small, rapid brook runs through the village. If you are planning a visit:
Stop by the Village Hall and get a schedule of forthcoming events. Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in 2010.
By automobile, take the B1203 south out of Grimsby and head for Tealby.
Watch for the Village Sign as photographed by John BEAL on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
In 1840, a Temperance Hall was built in the village. It was still active in 1911.
In 1852, a Police Station was built in the village. It included a lock-up and a house for the sergeant.
In 1882, the parish opened its own library. In 1913, Miss Mabel H. GILL was the librarian.
Prior to 1911, a weekly market was held in the village.
The Marquess of Granby Inn served travellers since 1695. In 1842, John TOPLIS was the victualler. In 1913, Mrs. Elizabeth P. MEANWELL was the proprietress. During World War II, the Inn was popular with RAF personnel and was run by Ms. Rene TREVOR. The Inn was restored and converted to offices in 1999.
Binbrook was an excellent location for an airfield. In July 1940, 12 Squadron RAF and 142 Squadron RAF was stationed here. In May 1943, 460 Squadron RAAF had the field. In September 1945, 12 Squadron RAF were back. In April 1946, 9 Squadron RAF with their Canberra bombers took over. In 1960, the field was closed, but in June 1962, Fighter Command reactivated the field.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Officers' Mess on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
Michael PECK tells us: "There are over 50 soldier/airman headstones in Binbrook churchyard, and these were all recorded and photographed for The British War Memorial Project." As a teaser, he presents one name:
416113 Sgt F. E. BISHOP Royal Australian Air Force, died 19th Sept 1942 at age 29.
In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is rendered as Binnibroc, from the Old English Binni+broc meaning "place enclosed by the brook". [A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
A Public Elementary School was built in 1842 and later enlarged.
Here is a list of names from the Admission Records for Binbrook School, 1909 to 1911: BOCOCK, BONTOFT, BRYAN, BURNETT, CHAPMAN, CLARK, COUSINS, DAVY, DERRY, DOBBS, EVISON, FIELDSEND, GOODWIG, HIDES, HILDRED, HOLMES, HURST, JACKLIN, JARVIS, JOHNSON, LOCKING, METCALFE, REED, RHODES, ROCKCIFFE, SANDERSON, SCRIMSHAW, SNELL, STRINGER, TINKER, TOPLESS, TRAVES, and WILSON.