This village and parish is ten miles north of Sleaford and ten miles south-east of Lincoln. The parish is a long, narrow structure, one mile wide and 11 miles long, running east to west. The east end of the parish is the River Witham. The parishes of Temple Bruer, Scopwick and Martin lie to the south and Metheringham to the north. Linwood, 3 miles east of the village is a hamlet in the parish, as is Barf or Barff. The parish covers some 6,800 acres of Fen and black moorland.
Modern-day visitors to Blankney often come for the golf. If you are planning a visit:
While there, visit the 106 acre Metheringham Delph nature preserve on the northeast corner of the parish. This former "drain" was left to silt up and has become a wildlife refuge.
The A15 trunk road skims the west edge of the parish, but the B1188 passes through the heart of the village as it makes it way north to Metheringham which is just a mile north where the B1188 crosses the B1202.
Ian PATERSON has a photograph of the village on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
Jo TURNER has a photograph of Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
The parish was long a haven for fox hunting. A "Court of Foresters" (Foxhunters) was established here in 1840 and met at the Tally Ho Inn. They had about 160 members. The parish also housed the "Kennels of the Blankney Hunt," consisting of some 50 couples.
The Blankney foxhounds were still kenneled here in 1930.
In the late 1800's, there was a Blankney Station three-quarters of a mile north of the village on the Spalding to Donacaster branch of the Great Northern and Great Eastern railways.
The name Blankney is Old English Blanca+n+eg, or "Island of a man called Blanca". In the 1086 Domesday book, the village is given as Blachene and in 1157 appears as Blancaneia. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]