John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, had a son here on 3 April 1366, known as Henry of Bolingbroke, afterwards King of England as Henry IV.
Even in the 1800s, people were expected to pay their debts. Thank you, Mark in Barcelona.
During World War II, the rector of Old Bolingbroke was prosecuted for ringing his church bells in defiance of a wartime ban. The ban required the church bells to be rung only in the event of an invasion.
This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
The parish was in the West division of the ancient Bolingbroke Wapentake in the East Lindsey division of the county, in the parts of Lindsey.
The parish was also the centre of the Bolingbroke Soke.
New Bolingbroke is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1858 from parts of Bolingbroke, Asgarby, Freiston, Mavis Enderby, Miningsby, Raithby and Revesby parishes. The parish is on the Boston to Horncastle road and was in the East Holland Deanery. It is closer to Carrington than it is to Old Bolingbroke.
In late December, 1880, this parish was reduced in size to help create Wildmore Civil Parish and Carrington Civil Parish.
Both Kelly's Directory of 1900 and the one from 1913 place the parish in the South Lindsey district.