Braceborough is both a village and parish 92 miles north of London, six miles northeast of Stamford and six miles northwest of Market Deeping off of either the A15 or the A16 trunk roads. The parish is bounded on the east by the River Glen and on the south by Greatford parish. To the west is Essendine parish in Rutlandshire. The parish covered about 1,700 acres in 1842.
An arm of the East Glen River runs past the north side of the village and a large wood still stands, half a mile west of the village. If you are planning a visit:
The parish was blessed with a fine mineral spring about a mile northeast of the village and a "bathing house" was built here in 1841 for people who wanted to "take the waters".
There was a railway station here by 1872, on the Bourne and Essendine branch of the Great Northern line.
Braceborough History Project was published in 2000 and contains much useful information about this village. Copies are held at Stamford Public Library and Lincolnshire Archives Office. [Dereck Titchen]
The name Braceborough is from the Old English Braesen+burh, or "Strong fortress". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Braseborg". You may also find it in old records as "Braceburg(h)". [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: John BERRIDGE, Robt. BLACKLOCK, John FARROW, James FRANCIS, Joseph FRANCIS, Wm. HEWITT, George HILL, Samuel JUDSON, Jonathan MOYER, Samuel PARKINSON, Jas. QUINCY, Rev. Geo. ROGERS, John ROLLINGSON, William SMITH, William TURNELL and Dr. Francis WILLIS.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BARSBY, BERRIDGE, CAMM, FRAZER, HUXLEY, JACKSON, KNIPE, MITCHELL, MOUNTAIN, PHILLIPS, PRATT, QUINCY, SHERMAN, SMITH, STEDALL, TURNILL and WILLIS.
White's 1882 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: AULT, BARSBY, BERRIDGE, CAMM, DOWNS, FRISBY, HUXLEY, KNIPE, MOUNTAIN, QUINCEY, SMITH, STORY, TURNILL, WILLIS and WOOLLEY.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BARSBY, BLUNT, DOWNS, FENTON, HARVEY, HAWKES, MAPLETON, SMITH, SNEATH, STORY, TURNILL, WILLIS and WOOLLEY.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ANDREW, BARSBY, CUNNINGTON, PAINE, SMITH, STORY, WHATTOFF and WOOLLEY.