We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- The cemetery is on the Wrawby road, a short distance from the town. The cemetery was not opened until August, 1857. It was enlarged in 1909 to about five acres.
- Julian P. GUFFORR has a photograph of the Cemetery Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
- The parish was in the Brigg sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- A portion of the parish was in the Caistor sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
- Many early census returns will be listed under Wrawby.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|Piece No. |
|1841 ||H.O. 107 / 650 |
|1851 ||H.O. 107 / 2116 thru 2118 |
|1861 ||R.G. 9 / 2398 |
|1871 ||R.G. 10 / 3420 & 3429 |
|1881 ||R.G. 11 / 3284 |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2625 & 2626 |
|1901 ||R.G. 13 / 3102 |
- Wrawby Street, Congregationalist
- St John the Evangelist, Bigby Street, Church of England
- Barnard Avenue/Wesley Road, Methodist
- Bourne, Bridge Street/Manley Gardens, Methodist (Primitive)
- Bigby Street, Methodist (United Free)
- Wesley Chapel, Bridge Street, Methodist (Wesleyan)
- St Mary, Barnard Avenue, Roman Catholic
- St Mary, South of Bigby Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Brigg area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
- In 1699, a small chapel of ease was built here.
- The Anglican parish church is in the centre of town, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. It was rebuilt in 1842-3 on the site of the earlier church (above). Some of the outside stone work was restored in 1893.
- The church seats 450 people.
- The parish was constituted as an ecclessiastical parish on 13 August 1872, from parts of Bigby, Broughton, Scawby and Wrawby parishes.
- There is a photograph of St. John's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2006.
- Here are two photos of St. John's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- For records prior to 1850, many, many of the records in the Wrawby register were in fact for people living in Brigg. Wrawby was a small rural place with no great population, but Brigg at this time was a hugely thriving inland port, absolutely next door to Wrawby, with thousands of ships a year. Many of the Wrawby records are of watermen who travelled the inland water circuits of the county. [Rex JOHNSON]
- The Anglican parish church register of baptisms and marriages dates from 1843 and burials from 1857. See Wrawby parish for earlier entries.
- We have a handful of entries in our parish register extract. Your additions to this are welcome.
- The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has baptisms for 1843 - 1916 on microfilm #1450442.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Yarborough Deanery to make your search easier.
- There was a Catholic Church on Bigby Street, dedicated to St. Mary, built in 1815 and seating about 120.
- The Congregationists had a chapel on Wrawby Street, founded in 1718. There was also a chapel for Wesleyans, one for Primitive Methodists and another for United methodists. For more information on records available for these chapels, please see our Nonconformist Chapels page.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the recently built Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Brigg sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Description and Travel
Brigg (Glanford Brigg) is a large village, market town and a parish 163 miles north of London, also 16 miles southwest of Hull and 24 miles north of Lincoln. Wrawby parish lies to the north and Broughton parish to the west. The area is flat, drained by many small canals. The parish covers only 462 acres.
The village lies on the east bank of the New River Ancholme, which flows north toward the River Humber. A small part of the town lies on the west side of the river, but this section is within the parishes of Broughton and Scawby. If you are planning a visit:
- The M180 motorway and the A18 trunk roads pass through the parish. The A18 actually passes through the heart of the village, where the A1084 trunk road begins its winding way south and east out of town as it heads to Caistor.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Brigg which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Brigg has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- For centuries, Brigg was a small fishing hamlet. Its location caused it to be a commercial trade hub and it grew quickly in the 19th century.
- In the reign of King John, Adam PAYNEL founded a Hospital here, subordinate to Selby Abbey. All traces of the Hospital have disappeared.
- There used to be a weekly Market Day on Thursdays in the village.
- The parish held a stock fair on August 5th of each year.
- A servant hiring fair was held each year on the Friday before old May-day.
- The Great Central railway had a station here in the mid-19th century.
- Around 1840, there were a number of packet vessels and trading vessels travelling daily or once or twice a week to Hull, Leeds, Wakefield, etc.
- The Corn Exchange was erected here in 1850.
- The Brigg Gas Works was erected in 1886. It replaced the original works built in 1836 and renovated in 1849.
- The Brigg Water Works was established in 1852, taking as its source St. Helen's spring in Wrawby parish.
- A rare book on local history is, "A history of 19th Century Brigg," by Frank HENTHORN; former history master of Brigg Grammar School.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of The White Horse Inn on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA004072 (Lat/Lon: 53.551828, -0.486003), Brigg which are provided by:
- In 1912, Company G of the 5th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment was stationed here. Captain H. L. ROBINSON, commanding; Color-Sergt. John ATTON, drill instructer.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
- Paul HARROP also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2009.
- Glanford Brigg may derive from a corruption of Clampford, from the clamps or planks of timber, laid down in ancient times across the ford and its swampy approaches. A stone bridge was later built to cross the river. It was after the stone bridge was built that the town was called Brigg
- The name is often rendered as Glamford Briggs, Glanford Brigg, Glandford Brigg or even Glanford Bridge.
- Mike EDWARDS reports the name as 1787, Glamford Briggs, 1807. Glanford Bridge, 1845, Glandford Bridge, 1866, Glamford Briggs, 1895, Brigg, and 1904, Brigg.
- Baileys British Directory for 1784 lists the following surnames in Brigg: BENTLEY, CLIFFE, FOSTER, HILDYARD, HOLDGATE, HOLLINGWORTH, LEADBEATER, NICHOLSON, TOFT and WOODWARD. [Mark in Barcelona]
- The "Lincolnshire Star" on Bigby Street was published here from 1906 until 1927, weekly, on Fridays.
- For more on newspapers, see our Newspapers webpage.
- In 1864, Brigg was recognized as a separate urban district by local authorities.
- The parish was in the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the Glanford district in the parts of Lindsey.
- The Urban District of Glanford Brigg covers a larger area than the parish. Parts of several neighboring parishes are included.
- About 1664, William THOROLD left a yearly rent-charge of 40 shillings for the apprenticing of a poor boy.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Brigg petty session hearings.
Population figures may include parts of Brigg urban district in other parishes. In 1841, for example, the town's population was given as 2,300. And in 1872, as over 3,165.
|Year || Inhabitants |
|1801 ||1,327 |
|1811 ||1,361 |
|1821 ||1,674 |
|1831 ||1,780 |
|1841 ||1,816 |
|1851 ||2,201 |
|1861 ||1,704 |
|1871 ||1,692 |
|1881 ||1,651 |
|1911 ||3,343 |
|2001 ||5,076 |
- A Free School was founded here by Sir John NELTHORPE, baronet, in 1669. This became the Brigg Grammar School which was built in 1674 and enlarged in 1878 on what was latter called Grammer School road. The buildings were enlarged again in 1912.
- The Brigg Grammar School was still in operation in the 1940's.
- Brigg National School was built on Albert Street in 1855 with room for about 200 boys.
- Another Brigg National School was built on Bigby Road in 1855 with room for about 183 girls. It has been reported that this school closed around 1930.
- An Infants School was established on Coney Court in 1848 with room for about 180 children. The building was originally an old warehouse and was converted for use as a school. It was part of the National School system when opened.
- A Catholic School was built on Bigby Street (year unknown, but prior to 1900) and held about 80 students.
- Brigg has the Briggensians Association with a list of students since 1879.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.