GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Broughton

Do not confuse Broughton with Brant Broughton (which is between Newark and Sleaford).

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2116
1861 R.G. 9 / 2399
1871 R.G. 10 / 3429
1891 R.G. 12 / 2625-2627
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Do not confuse Broughton with Brant Broughton (which is between Newark and Sleaford).

This village and parish are three miles west-north-west of Glanford Brigg and about a mile north of the M180 Motorway. The New River Ancholme brushes the east side of the parish. The old Roman way, Ermine Street, runs along the west edge of the village as it runs between Lincoln and Winteringham. Scawby parish lies to the south. The parish sits on the Cliff range of hills, covers over 7,000 acres and includes the hamlets of Manby, Gokewell and Castlethorpe.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Year  Person
1842 Wm. SHAW, vict.
1868 William MILLSON
1872 William MILLSON, vict.
1882 William MILLSON, vict.
1900 John Gardham SHEPHARD
1913 John Gardham SHEPHARD
1919 Henry RAWLINS
1930 Harry Elsome COATES, builder
Year  Person
1882 -- not listed --
1900 John WIlliam AYRE
1913 John WIlliam AYRE
1919 John WIlliam AYRE
1930 Clarence MILSON
Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a photograph of the beautiful Broughton War Memorial and a list of the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site. The monument is on the corner of High Street and Scawby Road.

There is one Commonwealth War Grave in Broughton Cemetery from World War II:

  1. Stanley William WILSON, sapper, 79 Assualt Sqdn. Royal Engineers, age 23, died 8 June 1944. Son of Walter Stanley and Charlotte Louisa WILSON.
Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

The parish population grew in the late 19th century, partly due to the fledgling steelworking industry in Scunthorpe and also to the growth of nearby Brigg as a shipping centre.

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 729
1831 915
1841 913
1871 1,205
1891 1,257
1901 1,300
1911 1,381
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 26-June-2014 - Louis R. Mills]