There had been a Priory of Gilbertine monks here, founded by Simon FITZWILLIAM, in the reign of Stephen. At the Dissolution of the Monestaries, it was granted to the Duke of Suffolk. Part of the Priory had been used as a parish church dedicated to St. James. By 1842, only a few fragments of the ruins remained.
Bullington was an ancient parish about eight miles north-east of Lincoln and two and a half miles west of Wragby. It is now a township of Goltho parish. Goltho parish lies to the east, Rand parish to the north and Newball to the south and west. The parish covered about 750 acres in 1842. Ecclesiastically, the parish was united with Goltho to form one tithe-free parish in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lincoln. Together, the two parishes covered about 2,540 acres.
The parish is skirted on the north side by the A158 trunk road as it passes between Lincoln and Horncastle. If you are planning a visit:
Remember, there is no village as such. Bullington was a rural parish and is technically a township.
Check for bus service from the Linconshire Road Car Company of Lincoln.