The Wesleyans had a small chapel here, originally built in 1815 and enlarged in 1863. The Free (United) Methodists built their's in 1862. For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Kirton and Skirbeck petty session hearings.
The following individuals left the income from land for the poor of the parish: Edmund DOCKING, Peter PISHEY (in 1669), William PISHEY, Peter DOCKING, Simon CLARK (in 1603), Alexander HOLLAND (in 1694), Robert FARROW (in 1612), John HARLAND (in 1685), William SWIFT (in 1669), Simon GUY (in 1656) and John PINCHBECK. Most of the charity lands were exchanged over time for larger plots, particularly when the Fens were drained and open fields enclosed.
The parish had four cttages, rebuilt in 1828, that were occupied rent-free by poor parishioners. These were given by Richard HILL in 1662.
A Free School was founded here in 1665 by Anthony PINCHBECK, who endowed it with land in Freiston, Leverton, Friskney, Fishtoft and Butterwick parishes (about 122 acres in all). Students were allowed from surrounding parishes. Several building were built in 1878 to house the school, then called Pinchbeck's Endowed School for Boys. By 1913, both boys and girls were attending.
See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.