The RAF considered building an airfield here in the 1930s, but it was passed over for more favorable grounds. WIth the growth of Bomber Command the idea for an airfield was resurrected in 1940. The gradients in the area made a bomber airfield unsuitable. In May of 1942, the Wellingtons of No. 199 Squadron arrived. The field is now known as RAF Ingham. The field was sandwiched between the A15 and the B1398 and close to Ingham village. In January, 1945, the airfield was placed in reserve.