- The parish was in the Home ("Lincoln Home") sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2357
||R.G. 10 / 3369
||R.G. 12 / 2589
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints. Some portions of the church appear to be of Norman origin.
- The church was built upon Roman tesselated pavement.
- The church was restored in 1846 and seats 150 people.
- There is a photograph of All Saints church on the Wendy Parkinson web site.
- Here is a photo of the church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1681.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Graffoe Deanery to make your search easier.
- In the early 1900s, this parish was part of the Longoboby Rural Deanery. All family history records, however, will be indexed under the Deanery above.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Home ("Lincoln Home") Sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
This village and parish lie just south of Lincoln in Lincolnshire, across the River Witham. Bracebridge parish is to the southwest. The parish covers about 2,120 acres.
The village of Canwick is just east of the A15 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:
- In 1888, several thousand fruit trees were planted in the parish.
- In 1906, an Isolation Hospital was built. Although it could only hold six patients, increasing to 12 by 1922, it was operated in conjunction with the Lindsey and Holland Counties Asylum (later called St. John's Hospital at Bracebridge). The Isolation Hospital closed in 1923. Although some patient records are available at the Lincolnshire Archives under St. John's Hospital (References: HOSP/ST JOHN'S/), most will be protected under the 100-year closure rule for privacy reasons. No specific registers for the Isolation Hospital survive.
- Canwick Hall was a mansion built of stone, erected in 1810-11 next to the old hall. The old hall had for many years been the seat of the SIBTHORP family.
- Dower House was the 1911 residence of Coningsby Charles SIBTHROP.
- The national grid reference is SK 9869.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey "Explorer 272" map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Liberty of Lincoln (starting 1410) or the second division of Langoe Wapentake in the North Kesteven division of the county, in the parts of Kesteven.
- For today's district governance, contact the North Kesteven District Council.
- The Public Elementary School was erected in 1865 for 34 children and enlarged in 1897 to hold up to 84. However, average attendance in 1911 was 33.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 7-September-2012 - Louis R. Mills]