Careby is both a village and parish which lies just east of the A1 trunk road, south of Little Bytham and just north of Stamford. The West Glen River passes down the west edge of the parish. The parish covers about 1,450 acres.
The name derives from the Old Scandinavian Kariby or "village of a man named Kari," and first appears in 1199 as Careby. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].