We have the very beginnings of a Parish Register Extract in a pop-up text file. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
The Baptists had a chapel erected here prior to 1872 with an associated burial ground. The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel prior to 1913. The Quakers also met here. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Carlton-le-Moorland (sometimes given as "Carlton le Moorlands" - note the trailing "S") is both a village and parish. It lies north of the A17 trunk road, northeast of Newark on Trent, 11 miles SSW of Lincoln. It has Bassingham parish lying to the north and Norton Disney to the northwest. The River Witham forms a portion of the parish's northwest boundary, crossed by the Scotwater Bridge, while the River Brant touches the eastern side. The parish covers just over 2,250 acres of good farmland.
The village dates back to at least 1068. Today it is still a small village, retaining many of the old buildings from past centuries. If you are planning a visit:
At the Lincoln Archives there is a history of Carlton Le Moorland and Norton Disney 1540-1615, by Judith R. Jones, which is available by request. It was written as part of her university thesis in 1987 and contains useful info about the village and various individuals. Included are inventories at death, wills, a map of the village in 1667, etc. There is a copy at the Lincoln Archives and at the Hayward Library, University of Nottingham.
In the 1980s, after the last of the BROCKLEBANK families died off, a number of people bought and built new homes in the parish.
Paul FARMER has a photograph of the White Hart Inn on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.
The White Hart pub is 16th century in origins, though there used to be at least two.
Carlton is Nordic or Old English for ceorl or freemen. Le Moorland comes from the Normans. The D'Isney family were up the road at Norton Disney and came over with William in 1066. The village gets a mention in the 1068 Doomsday book as Carletune. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]