Cawkwell is both a hamlet and a parish. The parish is small and lies about six miles south-east of Louth and about seven miles north of Horncastle. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Stenigot and Withcall parishes, to the west by Asterby and on the south by Scamblesby. The parish is on a rise in The Wolds and covers only about 650 acres. A small spring in the parish feeds the River Bain, which lies two miles to the west.
The village of Cawkwell is small enough to qualify as a hamlet. If you are planning a visit:
The town is easily accessed as it lies on the A153, midway between Louth and Horncastle.
The name derives from the old English calc+wella, meaning "chalk spring or stream". It appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as calchewelle. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
White's 1872 Directory lists the following individuals in Cawkwell: Rev. George BABB, MA, vicar; David BRIGGS, farmer, Cawkwell House; AARON GRIFFIN, farmer and parish clerk; and William SPENCER, bailiff, Cawkwell House.
In the 1901 census, the following surnames occur in Cawkwell: HARRISON, PARKER, PAUL, ROBSON, SANDS, SKIPWORTH, WILKINSON, WINCH, and WRIGHT.
Kelley's 1913 Directory lists the following individuals in Cawkwell: Arnold Edward DAVY, farmer, Cawkwell House; William GOODWIN, farmer, Glebe farm.