The Lincolnshire FHS has a Loan Library service which has the parish registers on microfiche for Baptisms from 1663 to 1811 and Marriages from 1692 to 1812.
The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Loveden Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel in the village, as did the Primitive Methodists in the hamlet of Frieston. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Caythorpe is a parish and village just 10 miles ESE of Newark-on-Trent, 9 miles west of Sleaford and 10 miles north of Grantham. Fulbeck parish lies to the north, with Stubton parish to the west. The parish covers about 4,240 acres. The parish is long on its east-west axis and narrow on the north-south one, extending west to the River Brant and east almost to Ermine Street. The parish includes the hamlet of Frieston 1/2 mile south of the village, pronounced by the locals as "Fryston".
The village of Caythorpe lies on the Cliff range of hills. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A607 trunk road north out of Grantham. It passes along the eastern edge of the village.
De Montfort University has a campus at Caythorpe for its School of Agriculture and Horticulture.
Caythorpe Hall, a stone mansion, was built in the classical style between 1824 and 1827 near the site of the old hall. The old hall was the seat of Sir Giles HUSSEY, Knight, who was with the Earl of Surrey at the sacking of Morlaix in France in 1552. A park wall is all that remains of the earlier manor house.
Friston House was, in 1841, the seat of John CHOWNS.
On 12 August 1938 two RAF crewmen were killed when their plane crashed in Caythorpe parish.
On 12 April 1944 a Short Stirling bomber crashed in Caythorpe parish after being intercepted by a Luftwaffe firghter. The plane crashed at Hill Top farm. Four crew members survived and four died in the crash.
On 10 February 1945 six men were killed when their plane, from Binbrook, crashed in Caythorpe parish near the railway station. At lest three of the men were Austrailian Air Force members.
Elements of the 1st Airborne Signals Regiment were based in and around Caythorpe in WWII for training. This regiment participated in the Operation Market Garden battle for the bridges at Arnheim.
An annual remembrance is held for the men who served and those who were lost at Arnheim.
The name Caythorpe is a combination of Old Scandinavian Kati+thorp, for "farmstead of a man called Kati". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Catorp. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. MILLS, Oxford University Press, 1991]