Claxby (or Claxby by Normanby) sits on a slight rise about 4 miles north of Market Rasen, 5 miles south of Caistor and 155 miles north of London. Walesby parish lies to the south. The parish covers about 1,700 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of Claxy in the snow on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2012.
By automobile, take the A46 trunk road north out of Market Rasen or south-west out of Grimsby. Claxby lies halfway between Caistor and Market Rasen, just east off of the A46.
A Roman mosaic was found near the church, along with a Roman kiln for pettery making.
Lead was mined in Claxby from 1864 through 1882.
Ironstone was mined in Claxby from 1869 through 1882. The village grew with mine workers from all over the Kingdom, many of whom died and are buried in the local churchyard.
John ROBINSON of Claxby travelled to the Lincolnshire Show in July 1900 to receive a prize in a competition open to labourers having brought up and placed out to service the greatest number of children without having received parochial relief and not having occupied more than half an acre of land. He won second prize; he had seventeen children, brought up sixteen and put thirteen out to service..
The large "egg" on a pedestal near the village is actually a National Air Traffic Radar antenna, and is a relatively new structure.
There is a more detailed parish history at the Claby Parish History site (this is a Portable Document File, 80 pages).