GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Coates


Note: There are several places called Coates in Lincolnshire, such as Great Coates, and others in other English counties, like Wiltshire.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2410
1871 R.G. 10 / 3447
1891 R.G. 12 / 2636
Return to top of page

Church History

Coates Saint Edith parish church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Coates (Coates by Stow) is both a parish and a cluster of buildings about 9 miles south-east of Gainsborough, 9 miles north of the city of Lincoln and about 151 miles north of London. The parish itself is lies between two branches of the River Till, bordered on the north by Fillingham parish, on the west by Stow parish, and to the south by Ingham parish. The parish covered about 950 acres in 1842, later increased to just over 1,000 acres. The parish includes the hamlet of Bransby.

Coates was, in 1842, a single farm in the western Wolds. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 33
1831 55
1851 46
1861 54
1871 36
1881 44
1891 54
1911 37
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 17-January-2014 - Louis R. Mills]