Colsterworth is both a village and parish on the River Witham. Cringle Brook forms part of the western parish border. Across the Brook is Leicestershire. Colsterworth is just 2 miles south of the township of Easton. The parish includes the hamlets of Woolsthorpe and Twyford and covers about 2,700 acres.
Woolsthorpe hamlet is an ancient village, lying about a mile west of Colsterworth. It was here that Sir Isaac NEWTON reportedly saw an apple fall, circa 1665, giving rise to his theories on gravitation. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A1 motorway between Stamford and Grantham. The village is located where the A151 from Bourne intersects the motorway, about 8 miles south of Grantham.
The name Colsterworth is from the Old English colestre+worth for "enclosure of the charcoal burners," the name appeared as Colsteuorde in the 1086 Domesday Book. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991
A National School was built here in 1824 by Edmund TURNOR, who also bequeathed money for the school's heating and maintenance. The school was open to poor children from nearby parishes, but they had to pay a penny per week to the master.