Cowbit is both a village and parish about three miles south of Spalding. The River Welland forms part of the western border, with the area called Deeping Fen across the river. Crowland parish lies to the south and Weston parish to the east. The area is about 4,500 acres of flat fenland, drained by many small canals. By 1913, the parish had been reduced in size to about 1,950 acres.
In 1842, Cowbit was a small village. The South Holland Drain runs through the village on its way to the River Nene to the east. If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A1073 north from Crowland or south from Spalding. Where it intersects the B1357, you are in Cowbit.
- Contact Fowlers of Spalding for information on bus service, Holbeach Drove, PE12 0SD, tele: 01406 330232.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- You'll know when you are getting near to the village. There's a sign! This one was taken by Patricia McRory (who retains the copyright):
You can see pictures of Cowbit which are provided by:
- See our Maps page for resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF266180 (Lat/Lon: 52.744777, -0.125972), Cowbit which are provided by: