We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
From White's 1872 Lincolnshire: "The Abbey at Crowland was founded by Ethelbald, King of Mercia in 716, for the reception of the black monks. It was dedicated to St Mary, St Bartholomew and St Guthlac. The Abbey was rebuilt many times and was of great splendour, until the dissolution of the monasteries. The parish church was formed from the north aisle of the old Abbey. The Wesleyans have two chapels, a large one rebuilt in 1831, and one on the Thorney road, built in 1868. The Primitive and Free Church Methodists have each a chapel, the former rebuilt in 1862, the other erected in 1854."
At the dissolution of the abbey in 1538, there were 37 monks at the abbey.
- There is a photograph of The Abbey on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Andrew ABBOTT has a photograph of the Abbey on Geo-graph, taken in April, 1997.
- Here are three photos of The Abbey, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):