Deeping St. Nicholas (formerly Deeping Fen) is both a village and parish a few miles north of Peterborough. The parish is bounded on the west side, in part, by the River Welland. The town of Spalding is to the north-west and Crowland parish to the south-west. The area is around 15,000 acres of flat fenland, drained by many small canals, including the South Drove Drain.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, the A16 trunk road runs through the village itself.
The name Deeping is from the Old English Deoping, for "deep or Low place". In the 1086 Domesday book, the village is given as Estdeping. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
Records indicate that the parish was originally formed in 1846 and reformed in 1856, when it was divided into three townships, North, Middle and East. This "divided" mentality persisted, partly because part of the parish traditionally is in the Kesteven district and part in the Holland district of the county.