Denton is both a village and a parish. The parish is about 4 miles southwest of Grantham on the old Melton Mowbray road (now the A607). The parish itself is bounded on the north by Barrowby, on the east by Harlaxton parish, to the west by Woolsthorpe and Harston (Leicestershire) parishes, and on the south by Wyville parish. The parish covers about 2,650 acres.
The village of Denton is about a mile south of the Grantham and Nottingham Canal, which effectively forms the border with Barrowby parish. A rivulet, which rises from near Denton House, supplies a small reservoir and feeds into the Grantham Canal. If you are planning a visit:
It is probably easiest to take the A607 southwest off the A1 Motorway for about three miles.
In 1841, nearly all of the parish was held by Sir William Earle WELBY, baronet of Denton House, with some land held by Mr. Gregory GREGORY of Harlaxton Manor. A few small landowners also held plots here.
In 1871, most of the parish was held by Sir Glynne Earle WELBY-GREGORY, baronet.
In 1913, almost the entire parish was held by Sir Charles Glynne Earle WELBY, baronet.
Denton House was a handsome stone mansion built on a wooded hill. It was nearly all rebuilt in 1816-17. There is a spring near the house, St. Christopher's Well, said to possess medicinal and healing powers. In 1842, The WELBY family held the manor at Denton.
In 1913, Denton Manor was the seat of Sir Charles Glynne Earle WELBY, baronet. This manor house was built in the tudor style in 1879-83 to replace the one above.
Denton is a common place-name across England. The name derives from the Old English dene+tun, meaning "village in a valley". It appears as Dentune in the 1086 Domesday Book. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
White's 1842 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: AUGER, BECK, BELL, BREWSTER, BRICE, BURGIN, CABORN, COLLINGWOOD, FERNELLEY, GEESON, GREEN, HILL, HODSON, HOLMES, INGLE, LANE, LEAK, MORRIS, STARKEY, STEVENS, SWANSON, TRYNER, TYLER, WATSON, WINTER and WELBY.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: AUGER, AVERY, BECK, BREWSTER, BULLOCK, CABORN, CHAPMAN, COLLINGWOOD, GEESON, GREEN, GREENWOOD, HOLMES, HOLT, INGLE, JACKSON, JOHNSON, LANE, LEAK, MORGAN, POTCHETT, REMMINGSTON, ROSE, STREETON, TYLER, WATSON, WELBY-GREGORY, WINTER and WRIGHT.
Kelley's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BLANKLEY, COLLAR, COOPER, CRASTER, DOVE, GEESON, GREEN, JACKSON, JOHNSON, MALTBY, MITCHELL, OGDEN, PYKETT, SCOFIELD, SMITH and WELBY.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate petty session hearings.
The parish had an almshouse for six poor people, founded in 1653 by another William WELBY. It was located not far from Denton Manor house. In 1842 each resident received one shilling per week and 22cwt of coal yearly.
In 1714, Rebecca WELBY left the interest on £10 for the six alms-people above.
In 1696, the parish purchased a cottage and 13 acres of land in Harlaxton to house a poor family.
The parish common fields were enclosed in 1789.
In 1790 William WELBY left a legacy of £12 per year for the schooling of poor children. By 1871 that had been increased to £20.
In 1842, six cottages in the village were given to poor people, but the donor was unknown. There was also an additional cottage and eight tenements, built by the poor, who paid only a ground rent for their use.