GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Denton

NOTE: There are "Denton" villages and parishes in Cambridge, Norfolk and other counties in England.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2102
1861 R.G. 9 / 2349
1871 R.G. 10 / 3357
1891 R.G. 12 / 2583
Return to top of page

Church History

St. Andrew Church

St. Andrew Church

St. Andrew Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Denton is both a village and a parish. The parish is about 4 miles southwest of Grantham on the old Melton Mowbray road (now the A607). The parish itself is bounded on the north by Barrowby, on the east by Harlaxton parish, to the west by Woolsthorpe and Harston (Leicestershire) parishes, and on the south by Wyville parish. The parish covers about 2,650 acres.

The village of Denton is about a mile south of the Grantham and Nottingham Canal, which effectively forms the border with Barrowby parish. A rivulet, which rises from near Denton House, supplies a small reservoir and feeds into the Grantham Canal. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Land and Property

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 446
1831 547
1841 626
1851 650
1861 637
1871 572
1901 642
1911 578
1971 273
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 6-January-2013 - Louis R. Mills]