This village and parish lie just west of Lincoln in Lincolnshire, just south of the Fossdyke Canal. Skellingthorpe parish is to the north-east and Thorpe on the Hill parish is to the south. The parish is bounded on the west by Nottinghamshire. The parish covers about 2,500 acres.
The village of Doddington is just outside the suburbs of the city of Lincoln. Whisby is a hamlet in the parish. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the B1190 arterial road between North Hykeham and the Fossdyke Canal west off of the A46 trunk road.
There are camping facilities just south-west of the village.
The parish was served by a railway station 2 miles north-west of the village on a line of the Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast railway.
There is a good book on local history: R. E. G. COLE, History of the manor and township of Doddington: otherwise Doddington-Pigot, in the county of Lincoln, and its successive owners, with pedigrees, Lincoln: J. Williamson, printer, 1897, 276 pgs.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD, AND IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FROM THIS PARISH OF DODDINGTON WITH WHISBY, SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 1918 OF WHOM THE FOLLOWING LAID DOWN THIER LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY. GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. ST JOHN XV. 13.
BAYES , George Albert
GODDARD , Alfred Edwin
MEDLEY , John William
NEWTON, John T
SPIKINGS, A / Albert