The RAF had a grass landing strip here in 1941 and 1942 used as an emergency strip by aircraft from RAF Scampton.
In September, 1942, the RAF gave the airfield official designation as RAF Dunholme Lodge. By May, 1943, it was a full station under 5 Group Bomber Command.
During World War II, over 120 Lancaster bombers from this field were lost in combat operations.
Flight operations ceased here on 30 November 1944, mostly due to having too many airfields in the vacinity causing some confusion for aircrews. The field became a glider storage area until the end of the war.
The RAF closed the field in 1945.
The field re-opened in 1959 as a Bloodhound surface-to-air (SAM) missile site.
The missile site closed in 1964.
The war memorial is a tall stone cross on a plinth in a traffic circle in the village.