The parish is in the Haverstoe Deanery, for which several indexes exist. The parish has also been in the Yarborough Deanery.
The Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methodists both had chapels in the parish. There were Wesleyans in East Halton as early as 1791, and they built their chapel here in 1805. In 1814 they had 35 members. The Wesleyan chapel was replaced in 1889. The Primitive Methodists erected their chapel in 1878. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
This village and parish are on the south side of the Humber River, almost due south from Kingston Upon Hull. Seven and a half miles to the east is Barton upon Humber and down the coast is Grimsby. The parish to the northwest is Goxhill. To the south lies North Killingholme parish.
The village of East Halton lies about a mile from the Humber and can be reached by taking the A180 trunk road and turning north onto the A160 and turning off at South Killingholme. In White's 1872 Directory, the village is described as "widely-scattered". A small creek runs along the north edge of the parish out to the Humber, called Halton Skitter. The Skitter Sand silt bed runs along the river bank. The land is low and sometimes marshy, but the soil is rich and fertile. East Halton is a small parish, covering about 3,920 acres of land (3,321 in 1911).
Make sure you are researching the right place. There is a Halton East in North Yorkshire and a Halton in Lancaster and in other places around England. If you are planning a visit:
East Halton had an inauspicious start in its military role. A balloon headquarters started in a semi-derelict farmhouse just north of the village in early World War II. The area was still rural. There was mains electricity, but no piped water or sanitary drains. Those improvements came shortly after the war.
The government wished to protect the oil tanks in the area, as well as the important railway lines. Balloon units were seen as an important defense mechanism.
During World War II, the RAF had a balloon squadron stationed here. Some traces of it remain in the parish.
Olivia READY lived in the farmhouse/balloon HQ from 1946 to 1964 after her father, Robert ATWWOD bought it. She tells us it had a brick wall built outside each downstairs window to minimize bomb blast damage. There was a water tower at the rear. During the war, the house was surrounded by nissan huts.
The East View Dog Kennels and Cattery are housed in the old stores building.
The name Halton is common in England and comes from Old English halh+tun meaning "farmstead in a nook or corner". In the Domesday Book of 1086, the name appears as Haltune. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
Olivia READY tells us that the BYGOTT and COULSON families were residents of East Halton from the 1700's, many of their descendants are still living locally. By her Will of 1750, Elizabeth COULSON left her 5 grandchildren a swarm of bees each.
A Richard COULSON is listed as a tailor in White's Directory of Lincolnshire for 1842, as are farmers John and Robert BYGOTT.
There is no history of when the first school was built here, but a board school, built of brick, was erected in 1878. Currently, East Halton Primary School is a small school about five miles from Immingham with about 62 students.
See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.