"STOCKWITH (EAST), a hamlet in the parish of GAINSBOROUGH, wapentake of CORRINGHAM, parts of LINDSEY, county of LINCOLN, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Gainsborough, containing 224 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Samuel Lewis, "A Topographical Dictionary of England", 1831]
Note: East Stockwith is not an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. It was formed in 1846.
- The parish was part of the Gainsborough sub-district in the Gainsborough Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of the parish census returns for 1841 through 1901.
- There was a special census of East Stockwith in 1815, but this does not give the names of each family member. See the Archives for access to this data.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2407
||R.G. 10 / 3446
||R.G. 12 / 2635
- The Church of Saint Peter was consecrated on 6 July 1846. It is a small building of stone.
- The church was restored in 1899.
- The church stands near the River Trent.
- The church seats 220.
- In 2008 an earthquake and high winds toppled the church steeple onto the altar. Reparis and restoration have returned the church to full function.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2005.
- Here is a photo of St. Peter's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1847 and includes Walkerwith.
- Burial register entries for St. Peter (1847-1900) are included in the National Burial Index (NBI).
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Corringham Deanery to make your search easier. Remember that many entries prior to 1846 for this community will be listed under Gainsborough.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1910, the Primitive Methodists in 1870. A Wesleyan chapel was built in Walkerwith township in 1834. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Gainsborough sub-district in the Gainsborough Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
East Stockwith is an ecclesiastical parish and a village about 150 miles north of London, 4 miles northwest of Gainsborough and 2 miles east of Misterton (in Nottingham county), on the eastern bank of the River Trent. Across the river is the hamlet of West Stockwith and the basin of the Chesterfield Canal (where the River Idle joins the River Trent). The parish includes the township of Walkerwith about one mile south, and covered about 780 acres in 1913. Until 1846, the parish was part of Gainsborough parish.
The township of East Stockwith covers about 420 acres. The township of Walkerwith covers about 275 acres. If you are planning a visit:
- Ferry service across the River Trent stopped in 1953.
- Horse riding is popular in the parish.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
- East Stockwith was formed as a separate ecclesiastical parish from Gainsborough on 29 December 1846 and includes the township of Walkerwith.
- A Working Men's Institute was established in 1892.
- The national grid reference is SK 7994.
- An Ordnance Survey map will have a scale of 2.5 inches to 1 mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The name derives from the Old English stocc+hyth, meaning "landing-place made of logs". It appears as Stochithe in the 12th century.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
- White's 1882 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BARRATT, BELTON, BETTS, BURKS, BYWATER, DENBY, FISH, FORRINGTON, FOX, GURNHILL, HACKNEY, HARRISON, HELYER, HOODLESS, LAVIS, LOCKWOOD, MITCHELL, PEARSON, RANBY, REVILL, ROSE, SHAW, SLINGSBY, SNOWDEN, SWIFT, WAGSTAFF, WATERHOUSE, WILLOWS, WINN, WOODLIFFE and WRIGHT.
- Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ANDREWS, BELTON, BENSON, BROCK, BROOK, BROWN, BYWATER, COOPER, FISHER, FORRINGTON, GURNHILL, HEBDEN, HIBBARD, LAUGHTON, MITCHELL, MORTON, NEEDHAM, PALMER, PICKARD, PICKERING, ROSE, SANDERS, SHAW, SLINGSBY, SMITH, SNOWDEN, STEVENS, STEVENSON, WATERHOUSE, WATERLAND, WHELDRICK, WILKINSON, WILLOWS, WINN and WRIGHT.
- Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ALLSOP, BELTON, BIDE, BROWN, BRUMBY, BYWATER, COOPER, EVERETT, FORRINGTON, GURNHILL, HEWITT, MARSHALL, MITCHELL, MORTON, NEEDHAM, PETTINGER, PICKARD, REDHEAD, REVILL, ROBERTS, ROSE, SLINGSBY, SMITH, SNOWDEN, SUTTON, TOPLIN, WATERLAND, WILLOWS, and WRIGHT.
- This place was an ancient township in Gainsborough parish in the county of Lincoln.
- Prior to 1850, the township was listed as covering 800 acres.
- The parish was in the ancient Corringham Wapentake in the West Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- You can contact the parish council but they do NOT have the time or resources to help with family history searches.
- Today's district governance is provided by the West Lindsey District Council.
- In 1795, the commons and open fields were enclosed. About 25 acres were set aside to generate rental revenue for poor relief.
- The parish joined the Gainsborough Poor Law Union on its creation in 1846.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Gainsborough petty session hearings.
- A school board was formed on 6 February 1896 for East Stockwith and Walkerwith. A public elementary school was built in 1896 to hold 150 children. Average attendance in 1913 was 85.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 18-January-2014 - Louis R. Mills]