The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Michael and All Saints.
The parish church was formerly appropriated to the Cistercian Abbey of "Valle Dei" which stood in the parish at Grimsthorpe Park, about a mile west of the village. The Cistertian Abbey was founded by William le GROS, 3rd Earl of Albemarle, about 1147. The Abbey was granted at the Dissolution to the Duke of Suffolk. Only a few stones now remain.
The church tower is reputed to have been built in the reign of Henry VI.
The church seats 450.
Here are two photographs of St. Michael's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):
This village and it's large parish (6,844 acres or 7,760 acres, depending on sources) is situated about 96 miles north of London, 3 miles west of Bourne on the A151 trunk road and 5 miles southeast of Corby parish. Witham-le-Hill parish is just to the south. The parish includes the hamlet of Grimsthorpe. The old hamlets of Elsthorpe and Scottlethorpe, now just a small cluster of houses each, are also within the parish.
The East Glen River flows southward through the village. If you are planning a visit:
Grimsthorpe Castle was the seat of Lord WILLOUGHBY de ERESBY. Near the castle is a lake. Most of the castle was built in the 13th century during the reign of Henry VIII, although some portions may have an earlier origin. The north front was added in 1722-3. The Great Hall is some 50 feet by 40 feet.
The name comes from the Old English Eada+n+ham for "Eada's homestead" and appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Edeneham. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
John Bland tells us (2004) that the locals pronounce the name as "Ed-e-nam", not "Eden-ham".