Edlington is both a village and a parish about two miles north west of Horncastle. Bounded on the east by the River Bain, the parish is bordered on the south by Thimbleby parish, to the southwest by Horsington and on the west by Wispington. The parish is in the west part of The Wolds and covers about 2,740 acres.
White's Directories of Lincolnshire indicate that Edlington parish, in the early 1800's, extended in a long narrow strip some nine miles to the River Witham. More recent parish boundary maps do not show this extension. But earlier maps do show a long thin strip of land extending to Stixwould parish. That strip of land was annexed to Horsington parish after 1832.
Edlington village sits on a hillside, is small and lies mostly on the south side of the winding main street. If you are planning a visit:
Take the B1190 secondary road, which runs between Lincoln and Horncastle. About a half mile west of Thimbleby, just west of Horncastle, turn north and follow the signs to Edlington. Alternatively, one can take the A158 north out of Horncastle and turn west to Edlington village.
In 1842, the manor house is called Edlington Grove. It is the residence of John Hazzard SHORT, Esq. Poolham Hall, another small manor in the parish, was owned by Christopher TURNOR, Esq. A small, moated manor, its grounds contained a gravestone dated 1527 and was the ancient seat of the BARKSWORTHs and THIMBLEBYs.
In 1872, John Hassard (sic) SHORT, Esq., is lord of the manor. Poolham Hall is still owned by Christopher TURNOR, Esq.
In 1900, Edlington Hall is the residence of John Randall HATFIELD, Esq. He is still there in 1913.
The village is first recorded as Ellingetone in the 1086 Domesday Book, most likely from the Old English Edla+ing+tun or "farmstead associated with a man named Edla". In 1115, it appears as Edlingtuna. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
White's 1842 Directory lists the following people in the parish: John Hazzard SHORT, Daniel BAXTER, Joseph AUCKLAND, James BLACKBURN, Jackson DALE, William DALE, George FARMERY, Edward GRIFFIN, George HARDY, Robert HEWSON, Joseph HILL, William LINCOLN, John C. OSBORN, Spencer ROBINSON, John SHARP, Christopher SHERIFF, Thomas SLEIGHT, Joseph WALTER, George WATTAM and George WELLS.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following individuals in the parish: Henry ATCESHON, Mrs. BAXTER, Job COUPLAND, Thomas CROWSON, Cook GAUNT, Edward GRIFFIN, Benjamin HILL, Hugh J. HINDLEY, Miss Emma NOBLE, Rueben ROBERTS, George Fred ROBINSON, Robert SEARBY, Mrs. Mary SHERIFF, John Hassard SHORT, James STRAWSON, John WALTER, Joseph WALTER and Joseph WALTER, Jnr.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following individuals in the parish: Thomas BARLOW, Charles BELL, George Holden BUTT, Thomas GAUNT, Paul and William GRANTHAM, John Randall HATFIELD, John PEARS, Robert SEARBY, Henry TAYLOR, Joseph Edwin WALTER, Richard Walter and Henry WILLOWS.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following individuals in the parish: Joseph ATKINSON, Thomas BARLOW, Thomas BELL, Thomas GAUNT, William GRANTHAM, John Randall HATFIELD, George HOODLESS, Francis John MIDDLEMIST, James Henry OWEN, John PEARS, Robert SIMPSON, William Dalton STEPHENSON, Alfred Henry TOWNROW and Charles Cecil WALTER.
Edlington had a Parochial School, enlarged in 1870 to meet the requirements of the Educational Act. This was subsequently called a National School, later renamed a Public Elementary School. It was built for 40 children, although 1913 attendance was only 23.