David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of St Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken on a sunny day in April, 2003.
The following history of the priory at Ewerby is provided by Den TAYLES:
An extract from 'Hidden Lincolnshire' by Adrian Gray
The visitor will always be struck by the gaunt ruins of Haverholme Priory. It is a lonely spot and not one that has been inhabited with conspicuous success even by its first monks, who found the site too damp and disease ridden and decamped to Louth. A small nature reserve can be found at Ewerby Pond east of the village. This is an old 'borrow pit' used in the building of the Navigation and since filled with water. Ewerby Waithe once had several 'coffin-shaped' stones, which were reputed to have been stolen by a witch from a temple which stood on high ground. Apparently the witch was flying off to the fens with the stones when she was spotted by some shepherds, who fired arrows at her, causing the stones to be dropped.
Haverholme today is a gaunt ruin of a house. The priory is best known as a house of the Gilbertines, an order not averse to living in lonely situations or damp and unhealthy ones - as in this case. However it was the Cistercians who came here first, but they did not like it and sold out to the Gilbertines when they moved to Louth Park in 1139. It has been claimed that Haverholme kept a hermitage on the edge of the fen where Thomas a Becket hid in 1164 during one of his disputes with the king. One of the duties of Haverholme was to maintain transport links and drainage on the fens. In 1316 the priory was in trouble for not keeping a foot ferry going at the "wathermouth" - possibly across the Slea at Ewerby Waithe. The monks were in trouble again in 1360 when Alice, daughter of John de Everingham, fled from the priory but was recaptured. She told the bishop that she had never taken full vows and was held against her will, so he ordered her release. After the Dissolution, Haverholme was adopted for domestic use, being finally rebuilt in 1830 for the Earl of Winchelsea. The estate was put up for sale in the 1920s but did not attract a buyer, so much of the house was demolished in 1927.'
Here is a photo of St. Andrew's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
Ewerby is both a village and a parish, about 3 miles east of Sleaford. The parish is bordered on the north by the River Slea. The parish covered about 2,800 acres in 1841 and 2.920 acres in 1900. Ewerby Thorpe is a hamlet in this parish.
The village of Ewerby is about a mile south of the river and is considered to be on the edge of the Fens. The village was once a market town in the area. If you are planning a visit:
There is a website for the village. At last check, some of the web pages were a bit brief and undated, but you may enjoy some views of Ewerby village.