Fillingham is both a parish and a village about nine miles east of Gainsborough, nine miles north of the city of Lincoln and about 151 miles north of London. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Glentworth parish, on the east by the old Roman Road "Ermine Street", and to the south by Ingham parish. The parish covers about 3,590 acres. A lake near the manor house is one of the sources for the River Till. Some reports say that the Old River Ancholme rises from this parish.
Fillingham village is at the head of a picturesque valley or dale on the western side of the Wolds. In the 1800's there were several scattered farms in the vale of the Glentworth rivulet. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A631 trunk road east out of Gainsborough and turn south at the B1398 intersection. The village will be about two miles south.
Fossil shells have been found here, evidence of a time when this area was under the ocean.
The park near Summer Castle shows evidence of being a Roman camp. Coins, broken spears, swords, fragments of armour and a stone coffin have been found there.
Anglo-Saxon pottery have been found at Blacklands, a site on the north side of the lake.
In 1361 John Wycliff was assigned as Rector of Fillingham. He was the first man to translate the Bible into English.
In 1953 a ancient, probably medieval, burial was discovered in the garden of Lakeside Cottage, Chapel Road. The grave was lined with rough-hewn stones. Foundation stones nearby give evidence thjat the area was once a church cemetery. In 1982, two more graves were found on adjoining property. In July 2000, an archaeological dig conducted by Sheffield University showed that the cemetery was adjacent to an earlier Anglo-Saxon settlement.
The Village Hall was originally built as a school in 1850.
The Domesday Book of 1086 records as many as seven manor homes in Fillingham.
Summer Castle is a large square Gothic castellated mansion with a circular bastion tower at each corner. It was built in 1760 by Sir Cecil WRAY. It stood on a rise and had a view into five counties. There is an stone old manor house nearby, built about a century before.
There is a monument to Major T. N. DALTON of the 95th Regiment near the Church of St. Andrew. The inscription reads:
"He served with distrinction in India with the 61st Regiment during the Punjab campaign of 1848 and 1849, taking part in the defence of Ladoolapore, Chillienwallah and Gooszerat, for which he recived a medal and two clasps. Following his Indian feats of arms and successes he distinguished himself also in the Great Crimean War, taking part in the battle of Alma and being killed while leading his men in a charge of the Russian position at Inkerman on November 5th, 1854."
The name Fillingham comes from the Old English Fygla+inga+ham for "homestead of the family of a man named Fygla". The name appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Figelingeham. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
The WRAY family of Fillingham are descended from Lord Chief Justice WRAY who settled at Glentworth in the reign of Elizabeth I.
White's 1842 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BROODBENT, BROUGHAM, CLAYTON, COX, DALTON, DAWBER, EMMINGHAM, FOX, GLOVER, GODFREY, HARRISON, PEARSON, POOLE, ROBERTS, STORR, WALKER, WELLS and WOODHEAD.
White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ACKRILL, ATKINSON, BELL, BROUGHAM, BROWN, CARTER, CLAYTON, COX, DALTON, EMMINGHAM, GLOVER, GODFREY, GREEN, JENKINS, LAIDLOW, MELBOURN, OVERING, POOLE, ROBERTS, STORR and WALLER.
Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ACRILL, ATKINSON, BELL, BUTLER, CARTER, CLARKE, HEATH, HUTCHINSON, LAIDLOW, MELBOURNE, PORTMAN-DALTON, ROBERTS, SMITH and STORR.
Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: AKRILL, BELL, CARTER, CLARKE, CODD, CROSS, DIXON, EMMINGHAM, HUTCHINSON, JUBB, LAIDLOW, MARGRAVE, PAGE, PORTMAN-DALTON, PRIESTLY, ROBERTS, SMITH and STORR.