The Lincolnshire FHS provides several marriage indexes and a burial index for the East Elloe Deanery to make your search easier.
The Baptists built a chapel here in 1764, which had a burial ground and minister's house adjoining. The Unitarians also had a chapel here before 1842. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Fleet is both a village and parish about 100 miles north of London, about 6 miles west of Spalding. Holbeach parish lies to the northwest. The parish is large is a long, narrow affair running roughly north and south to the border of Cambridgeshire, and incorporates the hamlet of Fleet Hargate. The A17 trunk road runs through the parish. The area is marshy, drained by many small canals and the South Holland Main Drain. In land area, it is approximately 6,800 acres.
Three Manors are mentioned in the old directories for Fleet:
An older Manor, called Blanches or Branches, where Captain J. H. BARKER was lord, was extinct by 1872. Although White's 1872 Directory lists an Edward MILLINGTON, land agent, as the resident at Branches Manor House, so the house itself may have been standing at that time.
The name Fleet is from the Old English fleot, or "stream". In the 1086 Domesday book, the village is recorded under the Old English name as Fleot. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
A Free School was endowed in 1727, although the date of first classes is unknown. It was free to all poor children. That building was rebuilt in 1813. A new school was built in 1842, but ceased to exist by 1900. This was known as Hargate School.
Wood Lane School was built in 1878 and enlarged in 1895 for up to 151 children.
Fen School was built in 1878 to accomodate 100 children.