Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- Flixborough parish was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 633
||R.G. 9 / 2401
||R.G. 10 / 3433
||R.G. 12 / 2627
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The old church was erected in 1789 (although there is history of an even older church in the parish).
- The old church was taken down in 1886 and the current church was erected at the same site, built of stone.
- The church contains some Norman artifacts, like the font.
- The church seated 150.
- The church was closed by the Diocese of Lincoln in 1988. In February of 1989 it was acquired by the local council and used as open space.
- Jonathan THACKER advises that the church has been taken down and all but one of the gravestones have been laid flat.
- There is a photograph of All Saints church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- There is a photograph of the inside of All Saints church on the Fylde Flixborough web site.
- Here is a photo of All Saints Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish registers exist from 1660, but Bishop's Transcripts go back to 1599.
- Both Kelly's 1900 and 1913 Directory of Lincolnshire advise that the Anglican parish registers go back to 1573.
- The parish lies in the Manlake Deanery, for which several Marriage Indexes and a Burial Index exists.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Winterton Sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
This village and parish is in the north of Lincolnshire just 3 miles north-west of the conubation of Scunthorpe and 7 miles east of Crowle. The River Trent forms the western border of the parish. The parish of Burton on Stather borders on the north and Gunness (Gunhouse) parish to the south. The parish includes about 2,650 acres of land and part of the hamlet of Crosby (SE 8711), now a suburb of Scunthorpe. Parts of the parish are subject to flooding under severe condiditions.
The village sits on a rise above the Trent, giving views over the surrounding countryside. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, from the M181 motorway which passes west of Scunthorpe, take the B1340 north until you see the left turn into Flixborough.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in 2006. This is a good place to stop and get a schedule of forth-coming events.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
You can see pictures of Flixborough which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Flixborough has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Romans are thought to have had a settlement in the parish.
- There are active archelogical sites around Flixborough. English Heritage funded a dig between 1989 and 1991 uncovering the remains of a wealthy Anglo-Saxon settlement. Research reveals that the excavated area was occupied from at least the early 7th century until the 14th century. Other studies have found that the ancient river beds, including the Trent, have changed considerably over time.
- Flixborough has a more recent past. On the afternoon of June 1st, 1974, an explosion engulfed the Nypro Chemical Works at Flixborough sending the blast and debris across the river into Amcotts. The twenty eight fatalities were restricted to the plant itself, but there were also injuries in Amcotts and surrounding parishes as well as blast damage to property.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Explosion Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- Flixborough long provided ferry service across the Trent River to Amcotts.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE870150 (Lat/Lon: 53.624309, -0.686032), Flixborough which are provided by:
- The Flixborough Roll of Honour is mounted inside the Anglican church. The names appear to be in random order, and do not show in which war the person served.
- The name Flixborough is from a combination of Old Scandinavian and Old English Flik+burh, or "stronghold of a man named Flik". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Flichesburg.
["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and it became a moern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Manley Wapentake in the Glanford Brigg district in the parts of Lindsey.
- For today's district governance, see the North Lincolnshire Council website.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard at the Winterton petty session hearings.
- A Church of England School was built here in 1877 to hold 55 children. Average attendance in 1912 was 30.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.