Fosdyke is both a village and parish almost 100 miles north of London, near the mouth of the River Welland, where that river empties into The Wash. The parish lies about 6 miles northwest of Holbeach and about 8 miles south of Boston. The parish is bounded on the north by Kirton parish, to the west by Algarkirk and by the River Welland on the south. The area is flat fenland, drained by many small canals and covers 2,356 acres.
The "sea bank" protects the village from high water on the River Welland. A Fosdyke Fen also exists near Holland Fen on the River Witham to the north.
If you are planning a visit:
The village is about two miles off the A16 trunk road. Take the A17 trunk road toward Holbeach and it passes along the south edge of Fosdyke village before crossing over the Fosdyke Bridge.
In memory of our glorious dead 1914-1918 J. Ashton F.S. Bett J.W. Bosnell J. Buck A.E. Burks W. Hallam G. Higgins J.S. Johnson H.E. Kitchen G.A. Lane G. Lineham J.W. Nicholls E. Royce G.E. Smith J.W. Smith E.M. Thompson F.H. Thompson Their name liveth for evermore In memory of those who died 1939-1945 War N. Blakeley T. Burdall J. Mudd W. Sands J. Smith W. Suckling L. Sutherill T. Snaith
Pronounced "Fozdike" by the locals, the village is first recorded as Fotesdic in 1183, literally meaning "ditch of a man named Fotr". There is also a Fossdyke Canal between the city of Lincoln and the River Trent. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.