We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- Frampton was in the Kirton sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
- Check our 1891 Partial Census Extract for Frampton.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 607
||H.O. 107 / 2098
||R.G. 9 / 2331
||R.G. 10 / 3333 - 3334
||R.G. 12 / 2570
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
- This lovely old church was originally erected in 1150. Four of her bells date from 1620.
- The building was restored in 1891.
- There is a photograph of St. Mary's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Here is a photo of St. Mary's Church, taken by (and copyright of) Chris BRAND:
- Here are two photographs of St. Mary's church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- At the west end of the parish is a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Michael and All Saints, near the road leading to Kirton Holme. It is about 1.5 miles from Saint Mary's. The chapel was built in 1863 from local Ancaster stone.
- The church seats about 200.
- Here is a photo of St. Michael's church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- Parish registers exist from 1556 (some sources give 1538).
- We have a small number of entries from a Parish Register Extract for your review. Any additions are welcome.
- The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Holland West Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Primitive Methodists built a chapel at Hubbert's Bridge in 1871. The Wesleyan Methodists also had a small chapel in Frampton village. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Kirton sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Description and Travel
Frampton is both a village and parish which lies about 104 miles north of London and only 3.5 miles south from Boston. It is bordered on the north by Wyberton parish and on the south by Kirton parish. On the east, it extends all the way to the Wash. The parish covers about 5,520 acres of flat fenland, drained by many small canals.
In this part of Lincolnshire, many adjustments have been made to boundaries and some civil parishes do not match their ecclesiastical equivalent. Always check a map of the period you are researching. On 12 March 1909, by Local Government Board Order No. 48320, the former civil parish of "The Friths" was amalgamated with Frampton. In 1881, the parish covered 7,900 acres. In 1921, it covered 5,554 acres.
The village of Frampton is small, running in an east-west direction along the roads. If you are planning a visit:
- It is probably easiest to take the A16 south out of Boston and turn for Frampton right after passing Wyberton.
- Check our Touring page for additional resources.
You can see pictures of Frampton which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Frampton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The CONEY family held possession of this parish until it passed by marriage in 1669 to the TUNNARD family. The TUNNARD family traces its roots in this parish back to about 1100.
- A Sea Bank, three miles in length, has reclaimed about 1,000 acres of land.
- Frampton had a Railway station at Hubbert's Bridge on the Grantham and Boston branch of the Great Northern Railway.
- In 1841, the principal landowners were the PEARSON, THOMPSON and SHARPE families. A farm house, built in 1689, was formerly the seat of the THOMPSON family.
- In 1900, the principal landowners were Charles Thomas TUNNARD, Thomas Coney TUNNARD-MOORE, Lord Willoughby de BROKE and Magdalen College, Oxford, as well as a few small owners.
- In 1913, the principal landowners were The Dennis Estate Limited, the trustees of Col. O. T. J. MOORE and Magdalen College, Oxford, as well as a few small owners.
- Stone Hall was the residence, in 1840, of Lord Willoughby de BROKE.
- Earls Hall was the residence, in 1840, of Richard THOROLD.
- Multon Hall was used, in 1840, by the President and scholars of St. Mary Magdalen College, Oxford.
- Frampton Hall, built in 1720, was the residence, in 1841, of Thomas TUNNARD, and, in 1900, of Charles Edward TUNNARD-MOORE. It was erected in the reign of Queen Anne by Coney TUNNARD.
- Frampton House, a different structure, built about 1790 by another branch of the TUNNARD family, is a square mansion one mile west of the church on the Boston road. In 1841 it was the residence of the Reverend John TUNNARD, and, in 1900 it was the residence of Charles Thomas TUNNARD. It was the property, in 1913, of the Dennis Estates Limited of Kirton. It was, at that time, the residence of Herbert DENNIS.
- The COTTON family had an estate here and an old gabled brick mansion, but by 1900 it was occupied by labourers.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF320390 (Lat/Lon: 52.932158, -0.037536), Frampton which are provided by:
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
John EMERSON, who retains the copyright, provides these photographs of the war memorial at Framton:
John EMERSON provides this list of names from the war memorial: 
Erected in the memory of those who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great Wars 1914-1918.
- John Burnett
- Alfred Boothby
- Horace Brown
- John Wm Elsey
- Albert Edge
- Albert Grooby
- William Hezzell
- James Howell
- Reginald Lowe
- Charles Lowe
- Wilfred Redshaw
- John Smalley
- George Ed Vine
- Ednett Watson
- William Francis Watson
- John Henry Woods
- The name derives from the Old Scandinavian Frani+tun, meaning "farmstead of a man named Frani". It appears as Franetone in the 1086 Domesday Book. Other sources give Frem+tun or "Stranger's town" due to the settlement of Normans like the TUNNARDs.
A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
- The knightly family of COPPLEDYKE were seated in this parish from 1250 to 1637.
- Famous people of Frampton include John CLAYMOND, born here in 1457, and who died in 1537.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Thomas John MOORE of Frampton Hall was, in 1871, late high sheriff of Lincolnshire.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Kirton Wapentake in the South Holland district in the parts of Holland.
- On 12 March, 1906, Friths, formerly a civil parish in the Boston union, was amalgamated with Frampton.
- For today's local governance, visit the local Frampton Parish Council site. Note: They are not staffed to assist with family history searches.
- For today's district governance, visit the local Boston Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Kirton and Skirbeck petty session hearings.
- The "commons" were enclosed here in 1708 and 20 acres of Fen set aside to generate revenue for the poor, distributed in coal.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Boston Poorlaw Union.
- Frampton Free School was built here in 1818 and limited to 50 children.
- A Public Elementary school (originally the Church School) was built here to hold up to 136 children.
- The parish was allocated one member on the Kirton School Board and sent 30 children to school in Kirton circa 1900.
- See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.