- Frodingham was part of the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds copies of the census returns for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, and 1901.
- We also have a few entries on our 1901 census surnames extract page for you to check.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 633 & 636
||R.G. 9 / 2401
||R.G. 10 / 3433
||R.G. 12 / 2628
||R.G. 13 / 3105
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence.
- Wikipedia states that the Anglican church in Frodingham is dedicated to Saint Lawrence and is a Grade I structure in English Heritage.
- Here is a photo of St. Lawrence's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Lawrence's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
- In October, 1861, the ecclesiastical parish of Gunness (also known as "Gunhouse") was formed from parts of the civil parishes of Bottesford, Frodingham and Crosby.
- The Anglican parish church in Gunness is dedicated to Saint Barnabas.
- Saint Barnabas Church is a small brick building.
- The church was restored in 1902.
- The church seats 60.
- There is a photograph of St. Barnabas church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Here is a photos of St. Barnabas Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish registers exist from 1636, although Bishops transcripts go back to 1599.
- Rex Johnson advises that the "Frodingham register ... covers Ashby, Brumby, Crosby, Frodingham, Gunness (Gunhouse) and Scunthorpe. many of the records have an A,B,C, F, G or S attached to them to indicate which village the people lived in, but this letter is missing from online records."
- The Anglican parish registers for St. Barnabus exist from 1851.
- Many residents of Gunness Township crossed the Trent River to worship in Althorpe. You may find baptisms, marriages and burials in that regiser.
- We have a partial Parish Register Extract as a text file. Your additions and corrections are welcome.
- Parish registers are on file at the Society of Genealogists for the period of 1653 through 1836.
- Copies of the parish registers are also held at the North Lincolnshire Library and cover baptisms 1637 - 1812, burials 1638 - 1812, and marriages 1637 - 1831.
- The Manlake Deanery to see what LFHS special indexes exist.
- The Family History Library in Salt Lake City to see which records have been filmed. The IGI Batch Numbers for christenings are C028441 - C028442 and marriages are M028441 - M028442.
- Frodingham had a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Bromby. There was a Primitive Methodist chapel at Crosby. Each also had a chapel at Scunthorpe. The Centenary Methodist Chapel, on Frodingham Road, was opened 21st October 1908 and was destroyed by fire in 1970. A new church Sunday school was put up its site. There are two pictures of Centenary Methodist Chapel in the Archive Photographs book on Scunthorpe, pages 22 and 31, ISBN 0-7524-0764-3.
- In Gunness, a Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1824 and a Primitive Methodist chapel in 1883. For information and assistance in researching these chapels see our non-conformist religions page.
- There is a Catholic church, Holy Souls, on Frodingham Road, Scunthorpe, North Lincs. DN15 7TA, phone: (01724) 84 2197, and it is part of the Nottingham Diocese. For information and assistance in researching these chapels and churches, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Frodingham was both an ancient village and parish in Lincolnshire about 18 miles north of Gainsborough. Both are now part of the modern city of Scunthorpe. The parish lies across the north of Scunthorpe. The parish of Flixborough lies to the north, Gunness to the west and Appleby to the east. The parish contained the ancient villages of Bromby (Brumby), Crosby, Frodingham and Scunthorpe and covered about 5,770 acres.
Crosby is a township situated in Frodingham parish and spilling over into nearby Flixborough parish. Gunness is a township also partly in Frodingham parish.
If you are planning a visit:
- You may want to take the steam train rides round the iron and steel making facilities of CORUS steelworks. Run by the Appleby Frodingham Railway Preservation Society. Light refreshments available. Contact Brigg Tourist Information: (01652) 657053, or e-mail: Bookings.
- Frodingham and Crosby lie north of the M180 motorway, and are perhaps best reached by taking the M181 motorway north and turning off at Crosby.
- There is golf available at the Appleby Frodingham Par 3 Course.
- See our touring page for area resources.
- The discovery of iron ore ("ironstone") around Scunthorpe in 1859 brought mining and stellworking to the parish, along with a rapid growth. The Trent Iron Works were established prior to 1872. The Frodingham Iron Works were here, too.
- At Gunness there was a wharf for the shipment of iron ore, brought by railway from Frodingham and other points.
- The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway used to run through the parish. A new Scunthorpe and Frodingham Railway Station opened on 11 March 1928. On 12th June 1932, the new Frodingham locomotive yard opened in Scunthorpe, bringing more job opportunities to the growing city.
- Brumby Hall still exists. Until recently it was an old-folks' home and has now been turned into several luxury apartments.
- The National Grid Reference is SE 8911.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for resources.
- Mike KIRBY has a photograph of the Scunthorpe War Memorial (which is in Frodingham) on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2008.
There are three Commonwealth War Graves in Brumby and Frodingham Cemetery from World War I and 23 from World War II:
- W. G. ELMER, lance corp., Military Police, age 31, died 27 Oct. 1921. Son of George and Frances H. ELMER.
- A. FOWLER, gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery, died 24 Apr. 1920.
- J. W. SEELEY, priv., 4th Btn. Lincolnshire Regt., age 36, died 17 Nov. 1918. Husband of Julia SEELEY.
- The name Frodingham is from the Old English Frod+inga+ham, for "homestead of the family of a man called Froda". In the 12th century it first appears as Frodingham.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- The local newspaper is This is Scunthorpe. The Scunthorpe Central Library on Carlton Street, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN15 6TX, phone: 01724 860161, has the card index to the Scunthorpe and Frodingham Star Newspaper, 1889-1959.
- The parish was in the Manley Wapentake in the parts of Lindsey.
- The parish was in Glanford (or North Lindsey) district of the county.
- In 1919 the Scunthorpe and Frodingham Urban District Council was established to cover the areas previously covered by the parish councils of Scunthorpe, Frodingham, Crosby, Brumby and Ashby. A Highways Committee was soon established and this was the regulatory body for bus and coach services under the powers held by local authorities prior to the 1930 Road Traffic Act.
- For today's district governance, see the North Lincolnshire Council website.
The North Lincolnshire Council website tells us:
"Frodingham is one of the five villages which were incorporated to form the town of Scunthorpe in 1936 and Frodingham was originally the parish in which Scunthorpe lay. The ironstone which is abundant in the area eventually led to the growth of iron and steelmaking during the 19th century."
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Scunthorpe petty session hearings each Wednesday.
- Poor relief dates back to at least 1775 when Thomas WILLIAMSON left the interest on £100 for poor widows.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
The population of Gunness in 1911 was 92.
- A National School was built here in about 1867.
- A Public Elementary School was built in Gunness in 1880 to house 170 students.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 26-April-2015 - Louis R. Mills]