As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reform of 1834, 50 Brigg-area parishes covering 252 square miles in Lincolnshire, just south of the River Humber, became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union which was formally constituted on 18 January 1837. The count of parishes increased over the years as new parishes formed in the district.
This Poorlaw region covered 165,470 acres of land.
The Registration District had three subdistricts: Brigg, Barton and Winterton. The Winterton subdistrict was originally called the Messingham subdistrict (this changed between 1842 and 1872).
A workhouse was built on Wrawby Street, at the entrance to the town from Wrawby parish. It was built in 1835-37 of white brick, designed to hold 220 inmates. It had a detached fever ward. A new infirmary was erected in 1914-15. A photo of the infirmary is at: Workhouse Infirmary
The Board of Guardians met on alternate Thursdays at the workhouse.
The workhouse later became "Glanford Hospital". This closed in 1991. The buildings were later demolished, with the exception of the infirmary.
The Lincolnshire Archives has the Guardians' minute books 1920-1930; the Minutes of Committees 1912-30, Register of Inmates 1928-37; Register of Births 1914-1944; Boarding out 1912-30; etc. All records are subject to 100-year closure for privacy.
1856: Sir Robert SHEFFIELD, baronet, Chairman of the Board of Guardians; John HETT, clerk; Rev. J. R. WEST, chaplain; George EMPRINGHAM, workhouse master; Mrs. EMPRINGHAM, matron. Relieving officers: Thomas JAMESON, William MASON and Charles CLAY.
1872: Rowland WINN, Chairman of the Board of Guardians; John HETT, clerk; Rev. J. R. WEST, chaplain; George EMPRINGHAM, workhouse master; Mrs. EMPRINGHAM, matron. Relieving officers: George WRIGHT, William MASON and Charles CLAY.
1881: Henry GIBSON, workhouse master; Mrs. Caroline Hall GIBSON, matron. Miss Emily OWENS, schoolmistress; Miss Charlotte GRADY, Nurse; Miss Harriet ANDREWS, Nurse; Thomas HILL, Porter.
1913: Rev. George GODFREY, Chairman of the Board of Guardians; John BEAULAH, Vice Chairman; Richard Fox SMITH, Vice Chairman; Frank C. HETT, clerk; Alexander S. L. MELVILLE, Treasurer; Rev. A. N. CLAYE, chaplain; H. F. GIBSON, workhouse master; Mrs. GIBSON, matron. Relieving officers: Elwood Alfred ELWOOD, Walter Arnold TAYLOR, Joseph H. KENDALL.