The Baptists, Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists all had chapels in the parish. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1828 and the Primitive Methodist one in 1890-91. Find out about the current Methodist ministry circuit in the Barton region that serves Goxhill. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
This village and parish are on the south side of the Humber River, just across the river from Kingston Upon Hull. Five miles to the east is Barton upon Humber and four miles to the south is the village of Ulceby. About six miles to the south is the Humberside International Airport.
Goxhill is a fair-sized parish, covering 5860 acres of land, more or less, and it includes the hamlet of Littleworth about a mile east of the village, where the remains of Goxhill Priory (established circa 1185) can be found, and the little hamlet of Goxhill Ferry near the river. The Skitter Sand silt bed sits on the river bank where the river turns from an easterly flow to a southeasterly run. The land is low and sometimes marshy, but the soil is rich and fertile.
If you are planning a visit:
Goxhill can be reached off the A1077 trunk road either off of the A15 or the A160 main roads.
For folks on holiday, there is camping and a caravan park west of the village.
The Glengarth Hotel at South End provides nice accomodations, described as a "19th century Lincolnshire farmhouse surrounded by beautiful countryside within easy walking distance of the Humber River."
Goxhill also offers bird watching, bicycling, hiking and watching the other tourists for entertainment.
Ancient clay pits (Dawson City Clay Pits at Grid Ref. TA1325) near Goxhill are part of the Lincolnshire Trust.
There is an old railway line leading to an abandoned World War Two airfield once used by the US Air Force.
Goxhill is a horse lover's paradise and reputedly has more horses than people.
Goxhill also has a "Summer Fayre" in July, a popular horse show and gymkhana, but the precise date must be obtained from the tourism board.
The Goxhill Gander is a free magazine provided to locals with a lot of useful information. Use the website to find out more information.
Stop by All Saints church to view an interesting >ancient painting (circa 1450).
The railway arrived in 1848 and still serves the village via Barton-on-Humber.
In recent times the village had its own newspaper, the Goxhill Gander. Adam Ellis advises that it is still in publication. You can reach them via e-mail at Goxhill Gander to enquire about a subscription.
The meaning of the name of the parish is in doubt. It appears to come from Old Scandinavian gaukr married to Old English hill, meaning "hill of the cuckoo" or it could be Gaukr+leah meaning "clearing of a man named Gaukr". In the Domesday Book of 1086, the name appears as Golse and in a 1212 source as Goulsele. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
In 1733 schooling started in Goxhill, with a grant of interest from 20 Pounds by Richard EMBROUGH to educate two poor children.
The Wesleyans built a Public Elementary School here in 1855.
The Wesleyan School became the Goxhill County School, now serving about 250 students. The record books of weekly classwork 1964-75 (Acc 96/6) completed by the headteacher is archived but not online. The Log Books prior to 1892 have not been found.