- The parish was in the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- We have started a 1901 census extract. Your additions to this are welcome.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 2112
||R.G. 9 / 2386
||R.G. 10 / 3409 & 3410
||R.G. 11 / 3266
||R.G. 12 / 2611
||R.G. 13 / 3087
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to St. Clement.
- The church is built of stone. It has been dated to 1200.
- The church tower was added around 1400.
- The church seats 300.
- The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
- A photograph of St. Clement's Church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
- Here is a photograph St. Clement's Church supplied by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1653.
- We have a single 1882 Obituary to provide a little bit of local colour.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several Marriage indexes and a Burial index for the Louthesk Deanery to make your search easier.
- There were three small chapels built here; Wesleyan in 1818, Primitive Methodist in 1837 and Free Methodists in 1854. The Methodist chapel is still active in the village.
- Michael PATTERSON has a photograph of the Wesleyan Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
- For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page. The Methodist chapel is still active in the village.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was part of the Barton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Grainthorpe is a village and a parish 8 miles north of Louth and 14 miles south of Grimsby, near the North Sea. The parish covers about 4,300 acres of low, swampy ground including the hamlets of Ludney and Wragholme and extends almost to the North Sea on the eastern border.
If you are planning a visit:
- The Louth Navigation canal passes down the western side of the parish.
- Visit our touring page for visitor services.
- A Roman road ran from Lincoln out to the beach through this parish.
- There was a medieval saltern at Wragholme.
- Grainthorpe holds an Arts Festival every August which includes a flower festival.
- The Black Horse Public House on Mill Lane has been providing refreshment for locals and wanderers since 1852. Although closed a few years ago, it has re-opened recently.
- John FIRTH has a photograph of the Black Horse Inn on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
- These are the names associated with the Black Horse Public House in various directories:
||John DARNEL, vict.
||John DARNILL, butcher
||John DARNEL, farmer & vict.
||John DARNILL, farmer & vict.
||Ernest Wm. CARTWRIGHT
- The Bricklayer's Arms also served the parish for many years. The Inn was open in the 1940s, but closed in the 1970s. It is now a private house. These are the people listed with the Inn in various directories:
||-- not listed --
||Simon BORMAN, vict.
||Jas. EMERSON, vict.
- Grainthorpe Hall was built in the early 1700s.
- Grainthorpe Hall is a Grade II listed building with British Heritage.
- The national grid reference is TF 3897.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- A photograph of the War Memorial cross is at Flickr.
- In ancient records, the parish name may be given as "Gremethorp" or "Germethorp".
- In the 1086 Domesday Book the parish is rendered as "Germundtorp".
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the Marsh division of the ancient Louth Eske Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- In March, 1887, this parish gained the Austen Fen portion of Covenham St. Bartolomew Civil Parish.
- That same month, this parish gained part of Grainthorpe Fen from Covenham St. Mary Civil Parish.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- Since ancient times, the poor here have 10 acres of meadowland which is held in cottage allotments.
- In 1707, Malachi NORTH left the rent from half an acre for the poor.
- In 1819, George LILL bequeatherd to the parish £240 for distribution of bread to the poor and £500 for scholling poor children.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Louth Poorlaw Union.
- The salt marshes here, called the Fitties, were enclosed in 1843-44.
- In 1861, Thomas HOLLOM left the rent from 4 acres for the poor.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Louth petty session hearings.
- A school was built here in 1852 to hold 140 children. It replaced an earlier, smaller building from 1851. It currently operates under the name "Grainthorpe County Primary School".
- Peter CHURCH has a photograph of the Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 28-December-2012 - Louis R. Mills]