The Wesleyan Methodists formed a group here in 1759 with William BUTTRES as leader. John BAGLEY took over in 1849. A 99-year land lease by the Lord of the Manor allowed the Wesleyans to build their chapel in 1881. It opened in August of that year.
This parish and small village are in the north of Lincolnshire, 4 miles from Great Grimsby and 157 miles north of London. The parish borders on the River Humber to the northeast and a stream on the south and south-east called the Freshney. The parish covers about 2,300 acres.