If searching the I.G.I., you can use the batch numbers C028692 and M028692.
The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Grantham Deanery to make your search easier. In the early 1900's, the parish was in the North Grantham Deanery. It is now back in the Grantham Deanery as part of the Barrowby and Great Gonerby group.
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, regularly preached in a Chapel in Gonerby which is now the Post Office. The village became a Methodist stronghold resulting in a Gonerby group introducing Methodism to Grantham and Lincoln. The Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methodists both had small chapels here, as for a while did the Independents (all built prior to 1841). Check our Non-Conformist Church Records page for additional resources.
Great Gonerby is both a village and a parish. The parish is about 108 miles north of London and only about 2 miles north-west of Grantham on the old Newark road. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Marston parish, to the south-west by Barrowby, and on the south-east by Grantham. The parish covers about 2,940 acres.
The village of Great Gonerby lies astride the Newark Road about two miles outside of Grantham. "Little Gonerby" is now a portion of Grantham and is outside this parish's boundaries. "Middle Gonerby" is also known as "Gonerby Hill Foot" is a small hamlet in this parish that sits along the border with Grantham parish.
Gonerby "born and bred" are ofttimes refered to locally as "Clockpelters". Stories tell of villagers pelting the clock in the church tower, installed in 1897, with stones or snowballs. Mud and stones would be gathered from a nearby pond, now dried up, to pelt the clock. Perhaps this was a rite of passage or a hope to suspend time for some reason. If you are planning a visit:
Take the old Newark Road northwest out of Grantham for about two miles.
There is evidence of a Roman encampment to the North as well as a recently excavated Saxon settlement to the East of the present village.
Oliver CROMWELL lodged in a house in Pond Street and planned his campaign against Grantham from there.
The Great North Road ran through the village, situated between the steep Gonerby hill to the south and Newark hill to the North. The hills were mentioned in Sir Walter Scott's "Heart of Midlothian". The resulting slow stage coach traffic (passage was impossible in bad weather) proved irresistible to highwaymen. Their deeds were so numerous that Great Gonerby had its own court and gallows, and in a Newark inn was displayed a notice warning would-be travellers to remain until the next day if they could not "traverse the Gonerby hills by nightfall."
The name of Gonerby implies that the village was established by the Vikings circa 900 AD. Gunvar was a Viking tribal chief who had a settlement here.
The name derives from the Old Scandinavian Gunnfrothr+by, meaning "farmstead or village of Gunnfrothr". It appears as Gunfordebi in the 1086 Domesday Book and has also appeared as Gunwarby. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
For these Great Gonerby families, use e-mail to contact Ian WRIGHT in the UK: COOK (1891 onwards), SNEESBY (1900 onwards) and RAISBURY (1900 onwards).
Taken from the Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury of 16 December 1842:
On Saturday last an inquest was held at Belton [Kesteven] by Mr. Kewney, coroner, on the body of Wm. BURROWS, of Great Gonerby, labourer, aged 35. The deceased was on Friday last employed with several others in Belton Park, in cutting the top boughs of a lime-tree, which had fallen across a walnut-tree, and could not be removed without having the tops taken off: he refused to use a patent ladder which had been provided for the purpose, and although repeatedly cautioned persisted in standing with one foot upon each tree: having separated a bough of the tree that was felled, it set at liberty a branch of the standing tree, which flew up, and striking the deceased, sent him to the ground, by which he received so much injury that he soon afterwards died. Verdict, accidental death.
Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate (Grantham) petty session hearings.
The parish enclosed the Common Lands in 1804.
In 1817, Ann ROBERTS left a principal of £120, 6 shilling and 5 pence (which later grew to £165). Of the annual interest, £1 was given to the school and the remainder distributed to the poor widows on the condition that they attend church.
The parish set aside a little over three acres to generate revenue for the poor. In 1900, this allowed £6 and 8 shillings to be distributed.