Great Limber or Limber Magna is both a village and a parish about 10 miles east of Brigg and 10 miles west of Grimsby. Brocklesby parish is to the north and Clixby parish to the south. The Humberside International Airport is just to the north-west. The parish covers almost 5,200 acres.
Much of the village is part of a county Conservation Area, If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A18 east out of Brigg, It passes right through Great Limber.
Stop in at the Village Hall on Church Lane and get a schedule of current events. Here's a photograph of the Hall on Geo-graph, taken by Paul GLAZZARD in July, 2008. Bring your kids and their toy sailboats!
In 1871, the village was the headquarters of the 1st Lincolnshire Light Horse Volunteers, which had 75 members. The Earl of Yarborough was the Captain-Commandant; William THOROLD, Lieutenant; W. RICHARDSON, trumpeter; G. W. GORDON, trumpeter; and Sergeant Thomas Wm. SMITH, Drill Instructor.
In 1881, the village was still the headquarters of the 1st Lincolnshire Light Horse Volunteers, which had 78 members. The Earl of Yarborough was the Captain-Commandant; John M. RICHARDSON and W. SWALLOW, Lieutenants; and Sergeant-Major MURDOCK, Drill Instructor.
The RAF had an airfield here in World War II, but it was what is called a "Q-site", used to decoy German planes into attacking dummy targets while taking anti-aircraft fire. There is a report of a crash by an RAF plane here in August, 1942, but that is not confirmed as yet by written sources.
In 1930, Brig.-General Cuthbert Gurney HOARE, C.M.G. lived in the parish. He was a Sandhurst graduate (bottom of his class!) and a member of the landed gentry who joined the army in 1901. Near the end of World War I he was posted to Canada to start a program tarining Canadian pilots for the military.
During the invasion fears of 1940, the Brocklesby park mausoleum just north of the village was used as a secret signal station for auxiliary units who would resist the Germans. David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Mausoleum on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2007.
David WRIGHT has a photograph of the interesting War Memorial inside the church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2010.
Samuel NEEDHAM was born in Limber Magna on 16 Aug. 1885 and died at Kantara, Egypt on 4 Nov. 1918. He was a private in the Bedfordshire Regt. He was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously. His name is NOT listed on the Kantara Memorial, but he is buried in the cemetery there.