This village and parish lie 6 miles south of Lincoln and just south of Waddington. Auborn parish is to the west across the River Witham and Coleby parish to the south. The parish covers about 2,570 acres.
The village is described in Scanlon and Warner's "The Kings England: Lincolnshire," publ. 1949, as:
"Serene among innumerable trees on its high place on the Cliff, it looks far over the valley where the Brant falls into the Witham and the Roman Foss Was is nearing Lincoln. On the eastern side of the village is Ermine Street."
Take the A15 trunk road, south out of Lincoln and turn off at the southbound A607 trunk road. Follow that south and pass through Waddington village. One mile further south, just to the right, is Harmston village.
Railway service to village ceased in 1962.
Visit the Thorold Arms Pub near the village church.
The village is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book.
The railway station, a half mile west of the village, was on the Lincoln to Grantham Branch of the Great Northern Railway.
Harmston remained a very small village until the mid-1990s when the new owner of Harmston Hall (a local property developer) made plans for a new housing development on the former hospital site (expected completion in 2005). The new housing has brought many new people into the community and has transformed Harmston from an agricultural hamlet to a mainly commuter village for workers in nearby Lincoln.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Thorold Arms Inn on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
Harmston Hall is a large stone mansion at the northern perimeter of the village, erected in 1710 for Sir Charles THOROLD and also the one-time home of Sir George THOROLD who was Lord Mayor of London in 1719. The manor here has belonged to the THOROLD family since at least 1456.
In 1871, the manor house was unoccupied.
In 1881, the manor house was the residence of Mr. Thomas BASTIN.
In 1930, as a result of the Local Government Act, Harmston Hall became part of a new mental health hospital complex, and functioned as the headquarters for the organisation 'Lincolnshire Joint Board for Mental Defectives'. The hospital site finally closed down in 1989 and was soon redeveloped to become a private home once again.