Harrowby is an ancient ecclesiastical parish, but was divided into two parishes: Harrowby Within and Harrowby Without. Harrowby Within became part of the town of Grantham (see History) and Harrowby Without became the Civil Parish. The parish is a long, narrow strip of land running along the east side of Manthorpe and Grantham parishes, with Belton to the north. The parish covers about 1,323 acres.
The village of Harrowby has been absorbed into the conurbation of Grantham and constitutes the northeast portion of the town and includes the Alma Park Industrial Estate. The Oldershaw Brewery is in Harrowby. If you are planning a visit:
It is probably easiest to take the B6403 (the Roman Road, Ermine Street) where it passes Grantham to the east and turn off at Harrowby Lane toward Grantham.
Harrowby Manor was purchased from the ROLT family by Sir Dudley RYDER in 1754.
In 1776, Nathaniel RYDER, then load of the manor, was created Baron Harrowby, and his son and successor, Dudley RYDER, was created Earl of Harrowby in 1809. Harrowby Hall is in the south portion of the parish. At one point, a moat surrounded the Manor.
Harrowby Hall was occupied by Ann ALLEN in 1841. In 1900, it was a farmhouse occupied by Thomas NEWTON, and in 1913 by Edward Cecil NEWTON.
The 4th Special Reserve Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment (Originally the Royal South Lincolnshire Militia) had its barracks here when Grantham became their headquarters, with the first building going up in 1858. A large drill hall was erected in 1911. They were later occupied by the A Squadron Lincolnshire Yeomanry and B Company of the 4th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment Territorial Force.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Grantham Barracks on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2007.
In recent years, Harrowby has been home to the 4th Parachute Brigade, 2nd (Oban) Airlanding Anti-Tank Battery, Royal Army.
The name probably derives from the Old Scandinavian Horgr+by, meaning "road to the settlement". The village name appears in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].